Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Sun -- It's Hot!

This just in -- the sun is responsible for the Earth being hot. Global warming explains nothing. It's all that activity on the sun. This was the sort of folderol I had on the phone this morning after my story about Dr. Steve Running's speech being canceled in Choteau. You can find the story here: http://missoulian.com/articles/2008/01/17/news/local/news02.txt. The New York Times has a pretty similar story today, which you can read here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/us/17climate.html

Callers told me that no, global warming isn't real, and if it is, well, it's just all that activity on the sun. Imagine my surprise. This happens every time I write about global warming, which some folks just can't come to terms with. And they're entitled to their doubts, I suppose. What troubles me in this whole discussion is not that people disagree with Steven Running or Al Gore, but that they want to shut them up. That's just the antithesis of the freedom that made this country great, and is unfortunately too much the rage in these late G.W. Bush days.

On the plus side, I also had a lot of calls and emails saying thanks for writing about Running's run-in in Choteau. I guess it all equals out.

2 comments:

MTSentinel said...

Those poor voiceless global warming advocates! If only someone would listen! If only the media would pluck this issue out of obscurity.

I think the issue isn't one of free speech but one of political indoctrination of a hostile audience in a public school. The global warming debate may have started in the scientific community, but these days it's dominated by political and pseudo-religious motivations (hence: you "believe" in global warming).

MTSentinel said...

woops! that should be hostage audience, not hostile audience.